I have found that Haslingden High Sixth Form strikes the perfect balance between encouraging students to achieve their fullest potential and creating a comfortable environment for all. The passion the teachers have for their subjects along with the belief they have in every one of us motivates us to work hard and accomplish all we can.
CHARLOTTE – year 13 student
Haslingden Sixth Form has provided my daughter with the best of worlds. She isn’t a face lost in the crowd because she has benefitted from focused support and received the attention she deserves at this stage of her education but she is also part of a much wider community. She has embraced sixth form and it has helped her grow as a person.
Haslingden Sixth Form is a community within a community and we pride ourselves on knowing each and every one of our students. Our sixth form provision is carefully planned to ensure that each student is afforded the right balance of independent learning, specialist teaching, enrichment and extra-curricular provision as well as access to tailored support and guidance. Wherever students see themselves after sixth form, we can help to get them there. From university and higher level apprenticeships to the world of work, we have an excellent record of enabling students to reach their goals.
EMPOWERING THROUGH SUPPORT AND OPPORTUNITIES
- All students have a personal tutor throughout their two years of study to provide important individualised care, expertise and advice
- A private study room fully equipped with individual study booths for students to work independently in a purposeful environment
- Structured study skills support based on educational research about what works
- For those students in need of additional support, we offer a successful and proven mentoring programme to help ensure that they achieve success
- Our experienced staff run the prestigious Extended Project Qualification for those wishing to embark upon a further challenge. The qualification brings useful UCAS points as well as promoting the need for independent research and organisational skills which are invaluable for future study
EMPOWERING THROUGH GOAL SETTING
- The majority of our students choose to progress to further study at university. Our UCAS programme supports students every step of the way to ensure that they have access to the institutions of their choice
- If our students choose not to go to university, we make sure that they are in a strong position to secure high quality training programmes or apprenticeships with our specialist group dedicated to supporting progression in the vocational sector
- Our year 12 internship week in the summer term is consistently successful at giving students important real-world experience of business and career possibilities
We know that by working in partnership with our parents/carers and students, we create the right environment in which young people thrive. We greatly value the contributions at home and know that without the sustained support, post 16 study can be a significant challenge. There are many opportunities throughout the academic year for both formal and informal communication and we urge parents/carers to seize these opportunities:
- Parents’ evenings – when all subject teachers are available for consultation. These are held for each year group once a year
- Year 12 Futures Evening – to inform students and parents about the range of choices students have in life beyond the sixth form
- Progress reports – these are issued termly to inform parents about the progress students are making towards their target A level or Applied General grades