Congratulations to the class of 2021!
Haslingden High is the lead school in our School Direct Partnership based in East Lancashire. Working with the University of Cumbria we offer an exciting, school based approach to Initial Teacher Training.
What are we looking for?
- High quality graduates who love their subject and are able to engage and inspire young people.
- Highly motivated people, with a passion for shaping the future.
- People with energy and enthusiasm who are able to demonstrate initiative and resilience. Every day is different and that is the delight (and challenge) of teaching.
- Reflective practitioners, who understand the impact of their behaviours on others, and who can model the best. Our young people deserve nothing less.
What can we offer?
- High quality training, led by experienced and expert professionals in successful secondary schools.
- The opportunity to develop your knowledge and understanding of the theory and practice of teaching in two placement schools.
- Qualified Teacher Status and a PGCE including 60 Masters level credits from the University of Cumbria.
You can read about the experiences of our School Direct graduates here.
As a trainee on the School Direct Programme you will spend most of your time in school, supported by experienced mentors and staff who are excellent classroom practitioners. Most of the course content will be delivered by expert teachers in our alliance schools but there will be visits to the University of Cumbria (Lancaster Campus) for assignment support and subject pedagogy days.
Trainees will undertake two placements in different schools within the alliance. There may also be opportunities to gain further experience in other partner schools and settings depending on individual training needs and areas of interest.
Who can apply?
Candidates should normally be able to demonstrate that they have:
- GCSEs at grade C/4 and above in English Language and Mathematics or standard equivalent.
- A first or second class honours degree (or equivalent) completed before entry. This should normally be in the relevant subject specialism but all subjects will be considered.
- A clear commitment to a career in teaching demonstrated by recent experience in a secondary school or visits to a secondary school to observe lessons.
- The potential to become an outstanding teacher.
How do I apply?
You can apply for School Direct on the gov.uk website – https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-teacher-training
Applications for School Direct are now open
Schools in our Partnership
- All Saints RC High School
- Alder Grange School
- Clitheroe Royal Grammar School
- Haslingden High School
- Mount Carmel RC High School
- Rhyddings Business and Enterprise School
- Saint Christopher’s CE High School
- Unity College
- Whitworth Community High School
- Woodhey High School
Enhanced Placement Providers
We are part of a wider partnership; ELTSA (East Lancashire Teaching School Alliance) whose members enrich the training programme. Members include; Early Years Settings, Primary, Secondary and Post-16 Schools and Colleges, Special Schools and Specialist Pupil Referral Units (Short Stay Schools).
Subjects we are offering
We are recruiting for the following Secondary areas:
Art & Design, Biology, Chemistry, Computing, English, Geography, History, Mathematics, Modern Foreign Languages, Music, PE, Physics and Religious Studies
Any offer of a place on our programme is conditional on satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), satisfactory Fitness to Teach Declaration.
The course fee of £9,250 is payable to the University of Cumbria. Bursaries are available for some subject specialisms. To explore whether you may be eligible, please check here.
For further details please complete the form below or call Sally Finney 01706 215726