Haslingden High School has a well-established 1:1 iPad scheme where all teaching staff and students in Years 7 – 11 have access to an iPad.
The purpose of our 1:1 iPad scheme is to:
- To ensure equality of access to the internet at school and at home
- To prepare students for working and living in a digital age
- To support self-led research and problem-solving
- To improve the quality of feedback, home learning and collaboration
- To provide new and innovative ways for students to learn
With the digital world developing so fast we are extremely proud of our students’ and teachers’ innovative use of technology to enhance the teaching & learning experience all students have.
We use iPads for many of our key systems. This includes communication via email, Edulink One (this shows students’ timetables, homework and reports, rewards and achievements) and Showbie, where staff share resources and can provide feedback. Above all, teachers and students utilise the iPad for learning activities which provide multiple pathways to subject knowledge and understanding in new, creative, engaging and exciting ways.
Our survey of students is very encouraging with the results overwhelmingly in support of our 1:1 scheme. More information can be found below.
On a normal school day, how often do you use your iPad in lessons?
- In most lessons
- Regularly at least twice a day
- Regularly at least once a day
- Sometimes once or twice a day
- Sometimes once a day
Has having an iPad made completing classwork easier?
Do you use your iPad for homework?
Purchasing your iPad
We have worked with Freedom Tech and MCC Digital to put together what we believe is an excellent offer for families:
- The latest and fastest 8th Generation iPad with a larger 10.2 inch screen with 32GB storage
- Case and tempered glass screen protector
- 30 month accidental damage and theft insurance provided by Compucover (see policy on website for details)
- £16.99 a month over 30 months (shorter payment terms are available, see website)
- The iPad belongs to the parent at the end of the lease term at no additional cost
- No upfront deposit and no excess payments
In addition, we are offering a Logitech K380 Multi-Device Bluetooth Keyboard as an optional extra. This keyboard can be paired with the iPad for more comfortable typing and allows the full space of the screen to be used for content creation.
To order a new iPad, please follow these steps:
- Enter your email address
- Use this username: HHS2021 with the password S3cure02! (Type the password very carefully – don’t forget to include a capital S and the !)
- Follow the instructions on screen
The option to add a keyboard is shown below once you’ve selected the 10.2″ iPad:
All orders should be placed by midnight on 11 August. Direct debits will begin around 25 August. The first direct debit must clear your bank or the order will be cancelled. There is some uncertainty at present over stock availability and Covid restrictions but we expect to be able to hand out iPads in late September.
Participating families must keep up payments or return the iPad to school. This is a leasing scheme where the school owns the iPad until all payments have been completed. The scheme is open to all families in Year 7, 8 and 9 including those that have previously bought personal devices for use in school.
We will continue to support families that bring personal iPads to school or wish to purchase a new iPad for their child independently of the school scheme. Our minimum iPad specification for personal devices is any iPad capable of running iOS14.
Limited funds are available to support families where there is genuine hardship and parents are asked to contact me in confidence via email if this is the case.
Please contact me via email if you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
eSafety & iPad Acceptable Use Policy
It is vital that all participants in our iPads for Learning scheme stay safe online and respect the terms and conditions in our eSafety and iPad policy. Please download a copy of our rules for safe iPad and ICT use from the link below;
All school iPads are insured against accidental damage and theft. A policy statement, provided by Summit/Compucover, is on the Tech4Learners portal. If you have any questions about iPad insurance, please contact school. Please be aware that the insurance policy does not cover loss.
All insurance repairs are handled by Freedom Tech. Please see the repairs page if you wish to start a claim.
Insurance policy – for iPads up to 30 months old:
Please note iPads more than 30 months old are not insured.
Information for families who have chosen to opt out of the scheme
Our scheme is voluntary and whilst the very large majority of families are part of the scheme, parents can choose not to be involved if they wish. We have a number of iPads that can be borrowed from the library each day.