I am writing to you as part of the launch of our Y12 Internship Week 2023. This will involve students arranging and carrying out a week of work placement from Monday 17th July to Friday 21st July.
We timetable this week for several reasons, including:
• The importance of the experience for making applications to university and/or other future pathways – employers and admissions officers expect level 3 students to have participated in meaningful work experience.
• To avoid students missing lessons when participating in work experience weeks (as has sometimes happened in the past)
• To give students the chance to develop important skills such as self-reliance, organisation and time management
I am sure it will, once again, be a rewarding week for our students and the key parts of the arrangements are as follows:
• Students are expected to find and arrange their own internship. A good starting point is family and friends. Tutors can give help and advice if a student is struggling to find a placement.
• Parents/carers must approve and sign off their consent for the internship
• School will review all placement forms as a secondary check of suitability
• Students will receive all the paperwork they need to complete and return when organising their placements. Please check with them and ensure that the paperwork is completed and returned to us in good time.
It is important to understand that the internship is a self-placement and that the school, whilst supporting the process and reviewing all proposed placements, will not be responsible for the final decision as to the suitability and safety of the placement. This is the responsibility of the student and their parent/ carer.
Please contact us if you have any further questions.
Ms. L. Marsland
Director of Sixth Form