Year 7 Catch-up Premium

Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium

The literacy and numeracy catch-up premium gave state-funded schools, including special schools and alternative provision settings, additional funding to support year 7 pupils who did not achieve the expected standard in reading or maths at the end of key stage 2.  Funding has been cut and our last payment was for the 2019-20 academic year.

The funding allocation for 2019-20 was £15,500 whilst the allocation for 2018-19 was £15,961.

Students who may need extra support from the year 7 catch up premium are identified from their standard KS2 scores. We also use year 7 reading and spelling ages and a numeracy paper to decide the best way to use funding, selecting programmes and approaches that we know are effective.



Interventions for 2018-2019 included:

  • Catch up sessions delivered during form time
  • Extra numeracy/literacy lessons for targeted students

In literacy and numeracy, prior attainment was assessed and students were allocated targets accordingly.  Students were assessed at the end of the programme and their progress against these targets was assessed with the following results:

    No Achieved/Exceeded Partially Achieved Not Achieved/No Outcome
Year 7 Catch-up Literacy Catch up 28 17 6 5
Year 7 Catch-up Numeracy Catch up 29 22 7 2


A similar strategy was implemented for 2019-20; students were identified for the catch-up programme from KS2 scores in reading and/or maths.  Some students received support from our Learning Support Faculty using resources from English and maths teams and others received direct support from the LSF team.

Funding was used to facilitate three ten-week programmes for students in both English and maths with three periods of each subject being delivered each day.  The impact of each programme was then evaluated at the end of each ten week block.  Students were assessed and removed from the programme as appropriate.

Update on the first ten week programme:

Reading: 17 students accessed the reading programme in wave 1 of the cycle (10 weeks).  Of these, 17 students 13 (76%) improved from their baseline assessment and were deemed by colleagues to have ‘caught up’. One student (6%) did not improve their baseline score but had made sufficient in class to be removed from the programme. In total 82% were deemed to have made sufficient progress. Three students (18%) did not show notable progress and were referred to the LSF for more specific intervention, notably in phonics.

Maths: 14 students accessed the maths programme.  Of these, 14 students 13 (93%) improved their baseline assessment but were not deemed to have ‘caught up’ with the expected standard yet. These students were re-enrolled for wave 2.

Update on the second ten week programme (wave 2):

Reading: 17 students accessed the reading programme in wave 2 of the cycle (10 weeks). Of these 17 students 15 (88%) improved from their baseline assessment and were deemed by MFL and English teachers to have ‘caught up’. 2 students (12%) did not engage with the process and therefore did not make the expected progress.

Maths: 13 students accessed the maths programme in wave 2 of the cycle (10 weeks). Of these 13 students 12 (92%) improved from their baseline assessment and were deemed by maths teachers to have ‘caught up’. 1 student improved from their baseline assessment but was not deemed to have ‘caught up’. This student was re-enrolled for wave 3.

Wave three was unfortunately interrupted by the government lockdown restrictions and subsequently did not complete in 2019-20.