I hope this message finds you and your family healthy and well during these challenging times. You may be aware that the Department for Education has launched a joint consultation with Ofqual regarding how exam grades will be awarded in summer 2021 and, currently, there is no further guidance other than to ensure that students are attending all live lessons and completing the set work as directed by their teachers.
As Director of Sixth Form, I am acutely aware that our Year 11 students will be considering and planning the next stages of their education, and the continuing uncertainty surrounding school attendance, assessment and exam results will no doubt be contributing to increased concern about what is next for your son/daughter.
Before the Christmas break, I launched the application process for our sixth form by visiting Year 11 tutor groups and sending home sixth form application packs. At the time, there were students who were self-isolating and may have missed the chance to hear more about what we offer in sixth form. I’d like to remind you that our prospectus, course information and promotional video can be accessed via our school website under the sixth form tab, and everything that you and your son/daughter need to know can be found there. I would also like to take the opportunity to inform you of our plans going forward. Due to the disruption of this second lockdown, we will be honouring all sixth form applications with conditional offers of acceptance. This means that if your son/daughter has applied for a place in our sixth form, they will be granted a provisional place with us as long as they meet the conditions specified. Hopefully, this will alleviate some of your concerns regarding next steps; however, please be aware that the qualification pathways on entry to Year 12 will be determined by your child’s final GCSE grades.
If your son/daughter hasn’t yet applied, all students have been emailed an application form. Haslingden Sixth Form is an excellent choice for our students for many reasons:
- A full programme of transition units from Year 11 to Year 12 for every course we offer. Our transition programme aims to broaden students’ understanding and foster enthusiasm for their chosen subjects, whilst introducing the knowledge and skills to ensure a strong start to key stage 5
- A wide range of courses to suit students of all abilities and interests. We offer 23 A levels, 6 vocational courses, a full-time level 3 sports leadership course and a level 2 foundation year
- Outstanding academic support including supervised and timetabled independent study periods, a study skills programme, an A level Mindset programme and a highly qualified and experienced sixth form teaching team, many of whom are examiners in their A level subjects
- Enrichment and personal development opportunities which enable students to be one step ahead of the competition when impressing university admissions tutors and employers
- A student-centred ethos in an environment where all students are encouraged and supported to achieve their potential. The sixth form team at Haslingden includes dedicated pastoral and support staff, alongside our experienced teaching team
- A history of success where students have progressed to Oxbridge, much sought after apprenticeships and university courses covering a huge expanse of interests and ambitions
A Google form will follow this letter so I can gain an overview of our Year 11 students’ intentions. I would be grateful if you could encourage your son/daughter to complete this form as soon as possible. Furthermore, if your child wishes to apply for sixth form, please ensure that they complete the application form and send it to email@example.com
Finally, if you require any further information or would like to discuss these crucial next stages, then please don’t hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Sixth Form