Thank you to those of you who responded to the return to school survey. I have had a number of conversations with parents who have expressed a wide range of views about their son or daughter returning to school. Ultimately, the decision about whether their child returns to school this term rests with parents and I fully respect the reasons behind the decisions made. Just over 75% of Year 10 parents who have responded to the survey have indicated their child will return next week.
For safeguarding reasons, we need to know the reasons why students are not in school and as such it is important that I get a response from the parent / carer of every child in Year 10. The survey has now closed and so I would ask those parents who have not responded to the survey to email firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate whether or not your child will be attending school and if not, the reasons for this. We need the reasons for absence to enable us to fulfil our legal duty in informing the Department for Education about the attendance of Year 10 students.
We are all really looking forward to welcoming our Year 10 students back into school. I am sure you understand that school cannot operate as usual as we require all members of our community to socially distance at all times, and we have to ensure the school site is safe.
The following guidance is in place to facilitate the above:
- Having considered the merits of all possible options regarding dress code, we have made the decision that all Year 10 students should wear full school uniform and feel that this minimises some of the issues that would arise. We understand that at this time of year and in the light of the current situation, this may present some difficulties and we will work with any family where this is an issue
- Students should arrive between 8.45 am and 9.00 am and should report directly to the gym
- There will be no food available before school or at break. Students are encouraged to bring a packed lunch if possible, but there will be a facility to order a standard packed lunch with a limited choice of sandwiches. The cost will be £3.00 and this will be deducted automatically from ParentPay accounts if students wish to order one. Lunches will be delivered to classrooms directly
- The water machines are turned off and students are encouraged to bring their own drinks with them. There will be the facility to order a ‘drink only’ and this will be delivered to classrooms along with the pre-ordered packed lunches
- No more than two students should be in the toilets at any one time
- Hand sanitiser will be provided in classrooms, but students may bring their own
- To minimise unnecessary movement around the school building, students are required to stay in their classroom for break and lunch though there may be an option to have lunch outside but students must stay within their designated group
We understand the new arrangements in school may feel different to normal, and it is essential that all students co-operate fully with all the above and with their subject teachers to ensure the day is both safe and productive for all. The Eight Expectations are probably more important than ever and I would greatly appreciate your support in ensuring your child is fully aware of the need to conduct themselves in a mature and sensible manner at all times. If we have a situation where a student does not adhere to these expectations, they will be removed from the classroom and parents will be contacted.
I would like to thank you in advance for your support in helping us to deal with this exceptionally difficult situation.